Saturday 8 January 2011

Corn and blueberry pancakes/fritters with bacon

I had a great start to the weekend, first I went for a run at my new gym (yeah, exercise is another new years resolution...) and then I made these corn and blueberry fritters for brunch whilst watching my favourite weekend TV show, Saturday kitchen live. These fritters/pancakes were inspired by a visit to Providores , a fantastic tapas and brunch restaurant in Marylebone. After reading lots of reviews raving about their brunch, I went there together with my sister and brother-in-law last year. We went there early, and that was lucky because 5 min after they've opened the door, the place was crammed. Anyhow, there I had a similar dish and I loved it. I already do make quite a lot of corn fritters (usually for lunch or dinner, with chili and spring onions added to the batter instead of blueberries), I love sweet corn in most forms. The exception is probably in ice cream. I tried it in Vietnam, where another popular flavour is new/green rice, and to me it was a bit weird.

I had the corn and blueberry pancakes with crispy smoked bacon and some watercress, spinach and rocket salad, and a raspberry smoothie. Bliss.

Have a great weekend everyone, and if you read and enjoy the blog, please leave a comment. I had a look at the blog stats, and was happily surprised to see that there are people from all over the world that have visited the blog, and a lot more views than I expected. So don't be shy, say hi, and let me know what you think of the recipes.

Corn and blueberry pancakes/fritters with bacon (4 portions)
300 g corn (I used canned corn, but you can use fresh and boil the kernels before use)
2 dl flour
0.5 tsp baking powder
0.5 tsp salt
2 eggs, beaten
1 dl sour cream
300 g fresh or frozen blueberries (I used the fresh ones, if you use frozen the fritters will become more blue in colour as the frozen berries tend to bleed more juices into the mix)
butter

Blend the corn into a coarse mash

Stir flour, baking powder and salt together. Add the eggs and sour cream and stir together

Add the corn mash to the batter and stir until smooth.

Add the blueberries and carefully fold them into the batter.

Melt butter in a large frying pan and drop large spoonfuls of batter into the pan. Fry the fritters until golden on both sides.

Serve with crispy bacon and salad. A mango salsa with fresh mango, tomatoes and spring onions would be nice too.

Raspberry smoothie (2 glasses)
1 dl frozen or fresh raspberries
2 oranges, juiced
1 red grapefruit, juiced

Blend the fruit juices with the raspberries. This smoothie is a bit sour and bitter, if you got a sweet tooth, use just oranges.

No comments:

Post a Comment